Friday, February 5, 2016

Bad Bed Business! What a nightmare. What would you do?

I regret to report that the Sleep Number store hasn't honored their offer, on the bed. 

 Balloon added, Sleep Number logo registered trademark, artwork via wikimedia commons is a stipple engraving by J.P. Simon, 1810, after himself. Iconographic Collections 


Although we drew up the sale agreement on the 21st of January, and the store manager took my payment information, they have not put the payment through. It looks to me like he's trying to squirm out of the deal, because...

On the phone earlier that week, Mr Manager told me it would be $X including tax and delivery.
On the 21st he told me he wasn't supposed to make that particular offer, on that particular model.
But!
He told me,
"My district manager said to go ahead and put it through and they would honor it because I already made that offer."
Then he wrote the sales ticket up for $X plus $45.39.
When I asked him about the increase he muttered something about not having figured tax correctly when he talked to me on the phone. I shrugged, figured it was still a good deal, and signed for the charge.
"It has to go to the Regional Office for approval." he told me. "But don't worry,  they'll approve it. The sale will go through in a couple of days."

I'm waiting...

So when the sale didn't go through after a week I phoned and asked, and he said, "Oh yeah, well, like I told you, it takes a few days. But they should approve it." 

Note how "they will approve it," changed to "they should." Not a good sign. But I decided to think positive, and be patient.

When the charge still had not gone through after another week, though, I phoned again. And again. And again!

He's not returning my calls A very bad sign. But it's so easy to dis the disabled.

So, what do I do? Report the bad bed business to the Better Business Bureau? Alert a local television station's Consumer Reports team? Get a tall male type of friend to go in there with me and look threatening? Get a whole group of friends to protest with signs outside the store?

Because telling this coldhearted furniture flunky failure of a Mr Manager that there's a young woman in a great deal of pain having trouble sleeping and waiting for that bed, and a whole lot of supporters who helped to buy her that bed are watching and waiting too, well, that doesn't seem to help.

Should I publish his name and phone number and ask you all to call him and request that the bed sale be finalized?

What would you do?

ETA: Patience and persistence paid off. See the update here: Sweet Dreams Deferred, Sweet Expectations Revived

2 comments:

  1. call the Manager directly, if nothing is resolved, call the Regional Manager and just keep working your way up the food chain. You have it in writing I assume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have the sale all written up on paper. Mr Manager doesn't respond to my calls so I guess I have to figure out how to find the regional manager's phone number.

      Delete